Dear Riders, Support Crew, Sponsors and Supporters,
It is with much disappointment that I write to you to advise that that the Townsville to Cairns Bike Ride Committee has made the extremely difficult decision to cancel the 2021 ride.
The committee has been working hard to come up with alternatives, work arounds and COVID-19 safe plans to ensure that the event goes ahead, however we believe it is the best interests of all that we cancel the 2021 ride.
In talking to people, they have asked me what our main concerns were. The following are some of our concerns and issues and there are a multitude of others:
- The safety of all of our riders and support crew including Lions and Rotary volunteers.
- The safety of the small towns and the communities that we travel through.
- The financial risks of a late cancellation that could impact future rides.
- Issues with accommodation for riders and support crew in enclosed venues and spacing requirements.
- Issues and extra costs around the service of all meals under COVID-19 rules.
- Detracting from North Queensland’s premier ride by trying to restrict numbers or no onsite accommodation that would push cost higher for everyone.
- Uncertainty of State border closures allowing our interstate team mates to properly plan flights and accommodation.
- The possibility of just one local case shutting the event down.
As a committee we feel that a 3 day event, at this stage, is still fraught with too many risks and cancelling the ride is our only option. We are keen to start planning the 2022 event and hopefully with the help of vaccines it will be viable next year.
For those who rolled over registration from last year we will be in contact with you directly to arrange a refund.
In the meantime, the committee is looking to run a one day Children’s Cancer Institute Fundraiser ride on Saturday 31 July 2021. Hopefully this will give us all something to train for and keep us focussed. More details to follow in the coming weeks.
Townsville to Cairns Bike Ride Inc.